Sunday, April 29, 2007

BoSacks Readers Speak Out: Where are Today's Mentors?

"Every truth has four corners: as a teacher I give you one corner, and it is for you to find the other three." Confucius (China's most famous teacher, philosopher, and political theorist, 551-479 BC)


BoSacks Readers Speak Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
Click here for Original Rant



Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
You struck a nerve. I take for granted all my graphic arts knowledge though think back to times when I knew far less and read ever pocket pal, SWOP manual and took a loop to every color bar to be sure all materials were in compliance or just to see how another prepress shop prepared their materials. You state you were inquisitive though I don't find this to be the general sentiment out there these days. It is more let me program my itunes, download my custom ring tone on company time and IM or text my buddies then get some work in between these activities. Attention span deficit! The people who take the time to think about how their activities in NY can make or break hours of production at some midwest printing plant are the rare ones. I have to fight the same inclination myself sometimes and get sidetracked too.

Usually if I make a press check, I realize what a tightly integrated thing this publisher/paper manufacturer/printer/distributor/consumer business this we take part in and those are not even all the stakeholders involved. A lot of jobs depend on it.
(Submitted by a Publisher)

Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
I wholeheartedly agree. I too had many mentors and one in particular was George Carl Sr. He was inquisitive about everything and as such was a very detail oriented person. He made me aware of the things I had to know to do my job properly. Consequently ink was not just ink but a liquid that was made of chemical components for different printing processes, also paper was not just paper and printing plates took many forms.

I was also fortunate to have been in the business when there was more than one printing process. I made it my business to pass this information along to others. In all my dealings with my fellow workers I made it imperative that when they were taught something it was their responsibility to pass along what they learned.

It was why I enjoyed being so involved with the APPM and being Program Chairperson at least 5 times and President twice, it was a great association for learning. It has been 7 years since I retired and I know for a fact (and you have confirmed it) that there are no more mentors- they seem to have disappeared with the advent of computerization-I guess now we will have to rely on robots! Keep up the good work.
(Submitted by a retired Production Director)

Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
Bo, I couldn't agree more with the article concerning mentoring. I was fortunate to have several mentors on my way up the corporate ladder and nurtured those relationships to maximize what I could learn from them.

Much of what I truly learned about the publishing business and people in business came from my daily interactions with my mentor in NYC. I spent three years learning from him, being challenged by him and often being frustrated or anxious with him. Adolph Auerbacher (Meredith Corporation) was one of the last of a dying breed of classic publishing mentors. He taught his lessons through parable and personal experiences. He often didn't answer the question or critique the decision made, but would get his message across through example or a story. You always wanted to do your best because you knew he expected it of you.

I find today many people are too busy making a name for themselves through their "hard work" or "last big sale" and miss the opportunities to listen and learn.

The idea of an internal publishing school makes lots of sense and was initiated at Meredith back in 1989. Their "publishing college" program continues today and has spawned many great careers, including mine.
(Submitted by an experienced industry veteran willing to mentor)

Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
I completely agree where are today's mentors? You are right there does need to be a broader understanding of the roles and functions and cross pollination within publishing organizations.

I think more importantly the question is why does the industry limit itself by not developing and reaching out to those that get less exposure or are one level down within an organization. The industry continues to tap into the same key leaders. The future leaders are there Bo and ready to take a more upfront role in the industry. Tap into it.
(Submitted by a Director of Mfg. & Dist.)

Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
The mentors are here, Bob. There are a lot of people like me who spend a great deal of time teaching and helping anyone who asks. But, a couple of things have changed in this industry - and not for the better, I'm afraid.

Companies aren't so willing to invest in training employees now - they don't send them to conferences or industry luncheons and events or pay for subscriptions to the trade press or encourage others in the company to help train the staff. The truth is there is not a lot of inhouse training going on in most companies today. I see it all the time in client companies and hear about it from other consultants to the industry. Too often when training is offered, some employees resent it because it "adds to the work load and stress". Yes, I just heard that sad story this week. Amazing, isn't it?

The trade press has stopped publishing real "how to" articles that concentrate on building core skills in each important publishing area. It's weird. No pme thinks it's important to understand the basics of anything anymore. A foundation for your profession just isn't exciting to most. It goes along with the attention deficit syndrome most people seem to value now.

Events managers expect seasoned professionals to show up a conferences on their time and dime to make money for someone else's company. A lot of experienced, talented speakers and seminar leaders have gotten off the speaking circuit because after 40 years, we think it's important to be compensated for travel expenses, if not for our time. So what I'm seeing now at these events is a lot of sales presentations for supplier's companies or the wisdom of people who haven't much experience. This type of conference content is a real event killer.

Lots of people mentored me. I owe my career and my business to them. I'm willing to do the same for others but often help is not wanted or easily available to those who do want it.

I hope you're able to encourage the industry to find a solution.
(Submitted by an Industry Consultant)

Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
Right on. I've been in sales for more years than I want to remember. But, before I went into sales I was in magazine and book production. The knowledge I gained, the mentoring I had, is no longer there.

The problem goes beyond magazines, it's in book publishing also. Both magazine and book production are the very similar. Technology has encroached upon both. Publishers are scrambling to figure out what is happening to their business models.

Look at books. Google decides to scan books and the major book publishers raise the flag to say, you can't do that. But, Google did. The technology was there, but book publishers either did not know about it, did not understand it, or could not see the application.

How many publishers, magazine or book, understand XML?
(Submitted by a Printer)

Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
Well said, Bob. My belief is that companies have cut "to the bone" and we're all working so much and at a fast pace that there is not time for mentoring & coaching, much less the quiet time for deep thinking about strategy development. The "younglings" are not able to learn about developing and maintaining relationships that will can them when its crunch time or they're in crisis, either personally or professionally. They don't know how to properly communicate verbally or in writing and rely too much on emails; all of which actually hurts their interpersonal skills. In fact, we just lost a young sales rep in training since he could not get over the fear of talking to people, relied too much on email contact, and lacked the business maturity to operate effectively in an office environment. A "very young & immature" 30 years old, did he not spend enough time being mentored or coached?

So how will business find the time to develop better mentoring programs? That's the $24 million question that could hinder business overall; not just the publishing industry. Thanks for your insightful musings. Keep up the good work!
(Submitted by a 20+ year employee on both sides of the printing and publishing industry)

Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
I completely agree where are today's mentors? You are right there does need to be a broader understanding of the roles and functions and cross pollination within publishing organizations.

I think more importantly the question is why does the industry limit itself by not developing and reaching out to those that get less exposure or are one level down within an organization. The industry continues to tap into the same key leaders. The future leaders are there Bo and ready to take a more upfront role in the industry. Tap into it.
(Submitted by a Director of Mfg. & Dist.)

Re: BoSacks Speaks Out: Where are Today's Mentors?
Bob, I consider myself one of the real lucky one's. Your mentorship of me back in the mid-1980's at xxx- xxx publishing, was excellent. You opened my mind to ways of thinking that were extraordinary then and now. The two most special golden Bo-rules that I remember are the following:

Never panic. . . there is always a solution if you look in the right place and ask the right questions.

And my very top favorite Bo-ism, that I have used in every application wherever possible is:
if something isn't working, see if it's plugged in.

That little gem is as deep and as good as anything Aristotle ever said and I have put it to good use over the years. (Submitted by a Senior Director of Mfg and Dst)

No comments: